Roasted Lemon/Garlic Chicken with Shallots
Crispy skin, tender meat, and shallots caramelized to perfection.
- 1 - 5 lb organic chicken
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Herbs de Provence
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 2 lemons (quartered)
- 2 heads garlic, whole with skin, cut in half
- ¼ cup melted butter, clarified butter or ghee
- 10-15 shallots, peeled (or as many as you want...more certainly can't hurt)
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees. Place rack in second from the bottom position.
- Remove giblets (set aside to make broth later), wash chicken and pat dry.
- Cut off any extra fat around cavity. Place the chicken(s) in a roasting pan.
- Stuff the cavity with 1 bunch rosemary, 2 lemons, quartered, and 2 heads of garlic, halved, skin on.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with melted butter, clarified butter or ghee and sprinkle generously with sea salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wings under.
- Place peeled shallots in roasting pan around the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour.
- After an hour start basting. Baste every few minutes for 15 minutes.
- After the chicken has been in the oven for I hour and 15 minutes, check thigh to make sure chicken is done. Juices should run clear. Larger chickens may take longer, and smaller chickens will take less time. (15 minutes more or less time per pound)
- Remove roaster from oven and cover with foil, allowing chicken to ‘rest’ for ten minutes before carving.
- After 10 minutes remove chicken from pan, carve.
- Pour juices and shallots from roasting pan over carved chicken and serve.
- Be sure to save chicken giblets, carcass and any bones to make broth.