Sweet Potato Waffles
A delicious take on a morning classic.
- 1 cup of cooked and mashed sweet potato (about 2 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp spice blend. Any combination of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, or allspice will work great.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your waffle maker
- Separate the eggs' yolks and whites. Place egg whites in a small bowl and set aside. Add just the egg yolks to a large mixing bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients above (except the egg whites) to the large mixing bowl. Blend at low speed with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or mix well by hand. The batter will be thick – don't thin it!
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form
- Now gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter with a spatula
- Lightly brush your pre-heated waffle maker grates with coconut oil. (Repeat every time you cook a new batch.)
- Spoon batter into the molds and cook until golden.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit topping or maple syrup