Stewed Kale & Lentils
A fragrant, Moroccan inspired dish.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried green lentils
- 3 cups (750 mL) organic vegetable broth
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped, stemmed kale (Schipper Farms or Hotchkiss)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large pot on the stove, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, cumin and cinnamon; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in lentils to coat.
- Add broth and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Add kale and raisins; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until almost no liquid remains, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with walnuts.