Moosewood Vegetarian Chili
A hearty, warming, vegetarian chili.
- 2 1/2 cups raw red kidney beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup cracked wheat (bulgar)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, fresh, chopped
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp red wine, dry
- 1/3 cup cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, freshly chopped
- Put kidney beans in a saucepan and cover them with 6 cups of water. Soak for 3-4 hours.
- Add extra water & salt, cook until tender (about 1 hour). Watch the water level, add more if necessary.
- Heat tomato juice to a boil.
- Pour over raw bulgar.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add carrots, celery, and spices.
- When vegetables are almost done, add peppers.
- Cook until tender.
- Combine beans, bulgar, sautéd vegetables, tomatoes, lemon juice, tomato paste, and wine and heat together gently, either in kettle over double boiler, or covered in a moderate oven.
- Serve topped with cheese and parsley.