Lean & Mean Black Bean Burgers
So delicious, and great as lunch left-overs too!
- 1 lb lean ground grass fed/finished beef or bison (optional)
- 1 398ml can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup raw cauliflower grated
- 1 egg (omit yolk in phase 1)
- 1/2 whole rolled oats (ensure oats are gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw and unsalted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 slice eggplant for open-faced burger
- 1 portobello mushroom cap for open-faced burger
- 1 gluten free bun, or sprouted grain bun
1. Vegetarian Option: puree black beans in food processor or mash well with fork.
Meat Option: leave black beans whole
2. In a large bowl combine meat (optional), zucchini, cauliflower, black beans, egg and oats. Mix with hands. If needing more moisture/stickiness, add another egg. If too wet, add a few more oats a bit at a time.
3. Mix in seasonings, and if using, the pumpkin seeds. Form into baseball size balls and press into 1" - 1 1/2" thick patties.
4. These may fall apart on grill, so fry in a pan, or if barbecuing, place on a greased sheet of tinfoil.
"Nourish - Simply Delicious Recipes and Clean Eating Program" by Rebecca Garland