Chicken Tortilla Soup
A fiery bowl of comfort
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, chopped into quarters
- 2 organic soft corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 poblano or jalapeno pepper, diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded organic chicken
- 1 avocado, diced (to garnish)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (to garnish)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drizzle cut tomatoes with one tablespoon of avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove baking tray from oven and add in corn tortilla strips. Cook for five more minutes, checking often to make sure tortillas are not burning. Remove from oven.
- To a high-speed blender add in roasted tomatoes, roasted corn tortillas, and one cup of water. Blend on high until liquefied and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat two tablespoons of avocado oil over medium heat. Add in onions, celery, and green bell pepper. Sauté for eight minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add in garlic and poblano pepper and cook for five minutes more.
- Stir the remainder of the ingredients, including the tomato and tortilla mixture, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, until soup is hot and fragrant. Add more sea salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with avocado, chopped cilantro, and diced red onion. Enjoy!